We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Read my full disclosure here.
I feel a little bad because my son has been asking to go skiing for about four years (he is obsessed with Wii-Ski). But to me, a slight form of torture involves spending hard earned vacation money (and time) to spend more time in the cold. You all know I am a beach girl, and seek warm weather all winter long. But today, Claire is presenting both sides of the coin with her tips on how to plan your winter getaway like a pro!
And just maybe she will convince me that this is the year to in fact take little man to the slopes!
How to Plan Your Winter Getaway
Nothing beats running away from the city for the weekend or an entire week, especially if you’ve been working senseless for the past few months. Once the cold seeps in, it’s all down to choosing the destination that will bring the spring back in your step or help you live out the winter days by experiencing them somewhere mountainous and snowy. It’s a tough call, choosing where to go, we get it. Since we were in the same jam just a few months ago, we’ve decided it’s best to write down pros and cons of warm and cold destinations, and opt for the one with the most likes.
Hot destinations and cold decisions
For all of you who aren’t that big on winter magic, going away to warmer destinations could be the best option to go with, and here’s why:
- You forget about the cold and indulge the warms of sun
- You keep your tan on and your mood in check
- Your enthusiasm keeps on thriving as you’re enjoying the season you enjoy the most
- You remain productive and upbeat instead of being moody, groggy and sleepy all the time
- You get to experience the exotic destination of your chose, meet new people, and explore new cultures and customs
- Your body stays toned thanks to water sports (swimming, diving, surfing, etc.)
- You are mentally and emotionally better as you are pleasing yourself with something that feels right and amazing
Cons to spending time someplace warm are pretty much down to the fact that you don’t get to experience winter magic at all. Although running away from winter probably is your goal in the first place, there’s something really exceptional about it – if you give it a chance. Here are the cons when it comes to running away someplace hotter during winter:
- You don’t get to experience winter in all its glory: the snowflakes falling on your skin, melodic squeaking of the snow beneath your feet, the pink on your nose and cheeks that’s giving you a very flush, healthy glow
- You fail to enjoy winter sports and the joys they bring: skiing and snowboarding as main winter attractions not only keep your spirits up but your bu*t and thighs tight!
- A glass of warm wine or a hot cup of cocoa on a cold winter day feels like heaven, and you’re missing them
- Making snow angels and building snowman with your family
- Winter (Christmas) decorations that add a hint of romance, joy and warmth to every home; go to a hot destination and you’ll miss the beauty of Christmas tradition
The dilemma stands unbreakable; we guess it’s all a matter of personal choice, sentiment and sensibility and the most important thing to do is – choose what makes you happy, no matter what it’d look like to someone else. And – once you have – you’ll need to think about what you’ll bring, right? Well, we thought of that too! Read below to pick up on a few packing tips that may help:
Most of us overdo our luggage and end up wearing four things total (unless you are vacationing with the president and need to show off, obviously). This is why our advice to you is to stay realistic in terms of the clothes you’ll wear. Pack the essentials you KNOW you’ll wear, not the stuff you THINK you’ll wear. We’d always go for neutral clothing items that tolerate a variety of combos.
Spruce things up
Packed the essentials? Good. Now add just a few of your favorite clothing items and jewelry to spice things up. Pack up your favorite pair of earrings, any of those fabulous Italian leather handbags you adore, one pair of sleek and stylish shoes (for when you go out) and essential makeup. Done!
Mind your hygiene
Your hygiene kit is one of the most important things to pack; bring the elements you’ll know you’ll need – from your lenses to tampons. Make sure you pack allergy shots and other essentials alike. Be prepared and be specific about your hygiene kit.
Trading the chill for the sunny and tropical escapes, or embracing the coldness and enjoying in the magic of snowy landscapes – the decision is up to you. The only universal truth is that you should think ahead, pack wisely, and the most important: choose your traveling companions wisely.
Where are you headed this winter?
You can follow Claire on twitter.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
hover over image to pin for later: